Spread-a-Bale can help you improve your livestock health and welfare by ensuring your animals have the optimum quality living environment.
It achieves several key benefits in this respect:
1. Pigs can be very boisterous and inquisitive; it can be a dangerous task spreading straw in the pen by hand, using a Spread-a-Bale is a safer and more efficient option. Yards and pens can be spread from outside and over the animals. The Pigs does not need removing from the bedding area while spreading the bedding. Spread-a-Bales are been used for both indoors and out door units around the world.
2. The spreading operation itself is quieter, safer, more efficient and much quicker than either manual spreading or using a chopper blower or similar machine. Compared with other mechanical forms of straw spreading, it is also far less power-hungry, which helps cut the unit’s carbon footprint. The spread a bale does not tie up a tractor.
3. Spread-a-Bale helps keep the unit much cleaner by reducing dust levels, which is very helpful to the health and welfare of the livestock, as well as the staff.
4. The quality and longevity of the bed produced by Spread-a-Bale distributes a consistent, even depth layer of straw across the whole pen. It leaves the bed fluffy and open, so it is more comfortable and animals remain dry for longer. This helps reduce disease and pathogenic infections, so also helping cut antibiotic use and veterinary bills.
5. Spread-a-Bale removes the physical danger of projectiles being spat out – a constant danger with chopper blowers, which have to expel chopped straw at high velocity to make it reach the far side of the pen. Stones and other projectiles can be spat out as well, which risks injuring animals and damaging the building.
If stones are picked up when loading a bale they will fall to the floor as the bale is moved towards the spreading rotors. Stones within the bale will not be expelled with enough force to cause damage.